Archives of Our Lives

{a narrow and broad look into the lives of people I love}

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Cherishable Notions

I laugh with my future mother-in-law that I am much better at relating to elderly people than to youthful people (by "youthful" I mean childish [by "childish" I don't mean immature--I mean children]). But it is true. So many people say they learn a lot from their children, but I say, "That's absurd. How can you learn from someone who knows so little?"

I, myself, prefer to learn from people who know; the ageds' wisdom comes on warranty--backed by years of experience and a degree from the school of Hard Knocks. Children might accidentally say profound things because they don't know any better, but elderly people are eloquent because they cannot be anything else--their histories of trials-and-errors are sure to produce some fool-proof advice to help others.

This is my Grandma Strate on the pier where we went fishing many times in Texas last month. I consider her to be one of the most beautiful women I know--her grace and poise is comparable to the beloved Audrey Hepburn in her later years... Such a gem. [By the way, I can never be like Audrey Hepburn because she and my grandma both love the children. Pity.]

I love all my grandparents so dearly. I was grateful for the opportunity I got to spend time with my far-away Grandparents Strate last month in Texas. Isn't this photo (of my 90 year-old Grandpa) precious? I got to tour an Aquarium for several hours by his side, and this was his expression the entire time:


Look at those laugh lines! I will never inject myself with anything that could possibly hinder my acquisition of laugh lines--I think they're something in which to feel pride. I hope Kyle ages exactly like this when he grows up...

I suppose what I am trying to say is this: Love the children if you must, but please--please--remember to cherish your elders.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow camille, I love this post. Its a really good one!

August 8, 2007 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger lindsay said...

i agree with you...i dont understand children, and in fact, i dont really like them at all. I find myself getting angry when the little beasts peer over the benches in chuch and pretend to "shoot me" with their finger guns...and when their parents ignore them and they fall off that bench...i dont feel bad. Not one bit.

I am heartless, it is true...
But i do love my grandma.

August 13, 2007 at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home