Archives of Our Lives

{a narrow and broad look into the lives of people I love}

Monday, November 5, 2007

...To Begin at the Beginning...Update #1

This used to happen to me in high school. Between band, orchestra, volleyball, track, student counsel, family stuff, church stuff, the occasional formal dance, and regular school work, there could often be weeks between journal entries. It would get to the point where I was so far behind that it would have taken me hours to get caught up--hours which, of course, I could never spare. And so the cycle would continue. Invariably, the guilt would become so overwhelming that I would sit down, open my neglected diary, and write an inadequate overview like, "I can't believe it's been so long since I wrote last. I turned 16 in September, went on my first date to Golf Land [I know. Bad.], passed all my midterms, and got a new flute for Christmas. Now it's summer vacation."

I hate the fact that someday when I'm old and feeble, I won't be able to remember the more intricate details of my glory days.

So here I sit in front of my MacBook in Dillon, Montana, humbly compelled to get down to business. The way I figure it, I ought to post on the following major events of the wedding: Bridal shower (actually, I was lucky enough to get two, but I only have photos of the second one), pre-married open house in Canada, formal wedding photos, actual wedding day, wedding reception, honeymoon, and immigration over the 49th parallel.

And so it begins. Bridal shower. My wonderful sister worked tirelessly to throw me an amazing shower. We sent out about a hundred invitations (this was for ward and high school friends--we had a second one for family) and had an awesome turnout of over 80.

A recap, in photos:

I went to Adell's house the night before the shower, and we put together this fairytale centerpiece. Got loads of compliments, and it's still gracing her kitchen table with Autumn goodness...


My hair looked incredible thanks to a fresh cut and colour by Lindsey, the one and only hairstylist I've loved--and who "gets" me--on the same level as Raygon.


Here's my sweet Grandma trying to make sense of the orange crocheted bikini I got...as a joke, of course. {Everybody knows I totally only sport fuchsia swimwear!}


Of all the lovely domestic goodies I received (and I received many; people were so generous), this apron was the most beautiful. But then, I've always appreciated what aprons do for my figure--they're so...cinch-able!

This three-piece stackable cooling rack made me very happy, wouldn't you agree?


My mom's been great through it all, considering her youngest daughter is moving out of the country. She thought it was funny, though, that I didn't know how to use half the gifts I received at the shower--even the ones I registered for! {She must be so proud...}


And I mustn't forget to post a photo of me with my big sister, who made it all possible. She started working on the adorable invitations back in the summertime, and had been planning out the menu for months. And this she had to deal with, on top of working full-time, taking classes for her masters (master's? masters'? Help me out, Sis!) degree, and having a real-life child growing inside her...she's wonderful. (She also gave me the most adorable rocking chair I've ever beheld, which deserves--and will get--a post all its own.)


This is a photo of my very first apothecary jar. I have always been inclined to like these, and I about had a heart attack when my friend Lee included it as part of a much-too-kind gift. (She has since given me two more, and I was no less excited about the others than I was with the first.) The dark chocolate M&Ms were included with my prize.

So there it is. My second bridal shower was a smashing success! Many thanks to all who helped, attended, and participated (I always stress out about parties in honour of me--I worry too much, I guess). And an extra-notable thank you to Lindsay White Sherman, who took over 200 photos of the event when she found out my camera was out of battery juice--I told her not to but she seemed to think I would regret it otherwise. She was right. Thanks a million, Momentito!

**Of course I realise this is a ridiculously long post--why else would I have put it off so long? If you survived it, and masochistically want to subject yourself to more, stay tuned for the next installment of Marital Bliss and Other Whimsies, as featured here on Archives of our Lives.


7 Comments:

Blogger RPH said...

beautiful post camille. you have a great family and are so lucky, its great to see your mom and adell. you are right, your hair does look fabulous in those pictures! your shower looks like you had a lot of fun and i am glad to have a little news on ya! i will keep checking back for more.

November 6, 2007 at 12:27 AM  
Blogger lindsay said...

LOVE IT!!!!
This was such a fun post camille and i am glad to hear you are alive and happy -
and i am quite excited to see pictures of adell's gift rocking chair....she has wonderfully-good taste in things, as proven by her adorable home.

also, this is my formal request for pictures of your home in Canada! I am so curious and want to see the cuteness!

November 6, 2007 at 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you had such a wonderful turnout at your (second) shower, and I'm so sorry again to have missed your wedding reception. I heard that your grandmother's back yard looked just like one of your scrapbooks come to life! =)

I'm so excited to see a post from you and look forward to more in the very near future!

Eating almonds and missing you tremendously,

Mel

November 6, 2007 at 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh camille, I am so glad that you finally wrote another blog. I have been waiting to read more of your stuff. I am glad that your bridal shower went well. I am sorry that I was not able to stay longer.

November 6, 2007 at 5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a beautiful bridal shower. I have good nes for you....I have pictures of the first bridal shower in my digital camera. I think that I will go to radio shack tomorrow to see about an adapter to put them on the internet. I guess you will have to talk me through it. I am glad you are keeping this kind of a journal where you can post things. I wish I could have one. Maybe that is what I'll ask for Christmas---my own blog. Perhaps you could help me design it.
Grandmáma

November 6, 2007 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger kayleen said...

i really enjoy reading your blog and i'm glad you're back on the ball. i always go away nodding my head and smiling in agreement. i think we might of been bff in another life.

November 7, 2007 at 7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Millie,

I'm absolutely flattered that you did an entire posting for the bridal shower. I'm glad you enjoyed it...It was great fun! I only wish you were going to be here for my baby shower in a few days. Apparently Aunt Sheleen and Jo are doing a vegetable fountain. Sounds quite intriguing, does it not? It's apparently the same idea as a chocolate fountain, but instead of chocolate coming out, there is ranch dressing. The outer edges are apparently surrounded by various vegetables. I'm quite excited to see what it looks like; you know if Aunt Sheleen (and Jo, for that matter) has anything to do with it that it's going to look awesome. Wish you could be here...

Masters degree, by the way. Yes, capital M, even if it's not at the beginning of a sentence, and no apostrophe at all. Interesting, huh? I wondered the same thing when I started taking classes, so I checked, and that's the verdict.

November 11, 2007 at 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home