Archives of Our Lives

{a narrow and broad look into the lives of people I love}

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Poor Kyle

*Preface* Back when I was driving for Jason's Deli, I spent a lot of time listening to the radio in my car (since I am too cheap to buy a transmitter for my iPod). Every time "Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani would play on the radio, I noticed my mood would instantly improve. Such a great melody, such awesome background singers...a catchy tune all in all.

*Face* So a few days ago I was driving, running some wedding errands and trying for all the world to keep my head from exploding. [I think it was about the time I got stood up for my wedding dress fitting.] Kyle was met with the unfortunate fate of calling me at just that moment. The ensuing conversation about something very minor, like Diet Dr. Pepper, nevertheless resulted in me snapping, "Why are you marrying me? Do you even love me?!" Yeah. Bad. I know.


And Kyle is such a diligent guy, too. He doesn't deserve that. Just tonight, he stayed awake scanning almost a hundred photographs of himself to burn onto a CD so we can make a wedding slideshow, but the real reason he did it was because he does, in fact, love me. (Well, that, and because he wanted me to stop nagging him.)

Anyway, even before I hung up the phone during my tirade, I felt guilty for taking out my already-petty frustrations on my innocent fiancee. A while later, "Sweet Escape" came on the radio, and I took the time to listen to the words instead of just the easygoing tune. Keep in mind that not all the lyrics apply to our relationship, [i.e. "Times getting a little crazy, I'm waiting for you to come save me." I would never do that], but a lot of the words deserve some recognition. Here are a few of the lines that match Kyle and me almost exactly {tweaked by me to perfection [and for slightly better grammar]}:

"If I could {elope},
I would, but first of all let me say
I must apologize for acting, stinking, treating you this way
Cause I've been acting like sour milk fell on the floor
It's your fault you didn't shut the refrigerator
Maybe that's the reason I've been acting so cold

If I could {elope}
And re-create a place of our own world
And I could be your favorite {and only} girl
For {time and all eternity}, perfectly together
Tell me boy, now wouldn't that be sweet?

If I could be sweet {highly unlikely, but still...}
I know I've been a real {snappy} girl
I didn't mean for you to get {in the way of my grouchiness}
Forever, we can make it better
Tell me boy, Now wouldn't that be sweet?
Sweet escape..

You {came around}
At my lowest boiling point
Come {to Arizona and} help me out {of this pre-wedding nightmare}
I need to get {myself} out of this joint
Come on, let's bounce {? I don't know what that means but I think I should have changed it...}
Counting on you to turn me around
Instead of clowning around let's look for some common ground...

Etc. etc. etc. (Real lyrics may be found at completeablumlyrics.com.)

*Postface* Anyway, so there's a shout-out to my Dear One. Hope this is not too embarrassing for him, but at the same time, I kind of don't...

8 Comments:

Blogger lindsay said...

Oh Kyle...such a lucky fellow...he even has Gwen Stefani lyrics re-arranged for him!!!
If that is not love, i dont know what is!

and camille, your wedding chaos makes me sad....wretched printer people, and dress seamstresser...there are just too many things out of wack!
BUT, speaking of "wack"...if you need anyone done in, i can totally hook that up...
you know, in case your wedding planner or someone is giving you too much grief....i know people bigger and stronger than me that would do the dirty work.

just in case...

September 10, 2007 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Oh S! I sure do love you! I shall not impart a small bit of wisdom to you. Just yesterday, someone very wise and very dear to me gave me this advice "Sure, you'll have your ups and downs, but when all is said and done, remember who you lavoe and want to go back to." You and I both know that you love Kyle dearly, and despite the ups and downs, he's the guy you want to be there-always!

September 10, 2007 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Camille said...

Oh Lindsay that is amazing. Leave it to you to think of doing people in to solve my problems. I should be more like you and less like the sucker that I am. It's a hard world, you know? If you can't beat 'em, do them in!

September 10, 2007 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Geevz said...

oh Camille! I'm sorry for your misery and woe! It's worth it I promise. By the way, "bounce" means to leave. You should really brush up on your ebonics. Good Luck!

September 10, 2007 at 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so perhaps it's the raging pregnancy hormones, or maybe just my sappy-by-nature persona, but at any rate, this is the sweetest, most touching blog I've ever read from you Mill. Seriously. (It was even better than the one about Grandma and Grandpa, and that was touching.) I guess I'd never really listend to the words of that song; I've loved it since it came out, but I've never taken the time to stop and listen. At any rate, this was a poignantly beautiful piece that made me feel like shedding a tear. Thanks for the heartwarmer.

(P.S.: You didn't think I'd comment without a grammatical suggestion as well, did you? Here it is: there's only one E in finace. There's also an accent sign above the aforementioned solitary E, but I'm assuming you were unable to do that on your blog. I'll let that slide. But, the double E won't get off as easily.)

September 10, 2007 at 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned something new today...I had no idea 'bounce' is ebonics for leave. Thanks, Geneva!

September 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger kayleen said...

gwen is a secret favorite of mine. and this song always makes me smile.

September 10, 2007 at 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Kyle seems to fall victim to the phone quite often. I do have to agree you have had more than your fair share of pre-wedding trauma. I seem to have my share of dilemas as well and I'm not even planning anything. In fact I believe my transaction is STILL processing..... blasted ATM. I may be scarred for life. The conveniences of the ATM stolen from me forever. HoHum

September 11, 2007 at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home